Thursday, June 18, 2009

Listening, Hearing & Paying Attention

Ever since I watched the Craige Lewis teachings on what's going on in Hip-Hop music, I can't get over how blind I have been to the subtle deceptions all around us. The Bible warns us not to be deceived, to be discerning and to be on our guard against false doctrine.

Here's the thing: when you start opening your eyes to the dangers, you want to warn others. And what better way for Satan to neutralize a message than to make others believe that the messenger is a "fanatic," or paranoid or over-reacting?

I've been talking to my family and friends about the need to be more careful in their entertainment choices. I just can't get out of my head how blind I'd been about the music I spent all my life listening to. When I explained to friends and family why I was giving up my Earth, Wind and Fire, Hall & Oates, David Bowie and all the other R&B and Rock I'd grown so fond of they all looked as if I might be over-reacting. (I can't even justify my Tupac collection. The language alone should have been a deterrant.)

Now, it's not as if anyone has come out and said that I am over-reacting, but I can tell that they are thinking along the lines of, "Wow, just lighten up. God knows your heart." Well, yes, He does, but that doesn't mean that I'm supposed to ignore what He is telling me. Right?

So, for now, I will just keep on sharing what I learn - no matter how people look at me. I remember when others tried to tell me things before I was ready to open my ears and listen. Even though, I didn't LISTEN, I HEARD. Now a lot of those warnings and teachings come back to me. Maybe what I say today won't be listened to, but I will be heard.

Peace
--Free

No comments: