Tuesday, December 22, 2020

The Torah in Psalms

 During my Bible reading yesterday, I noticed something in my KJV Study Bible* for the first time - or, if I had noticed before, I'd forgotten!

The Psalms are divided into 5 books and each book (in my KJV) is headed with a section from the Torah. I just thought I would share this with any of you who, like me, were unfamiliar with the sections and headings.

  • Book One - Psalms 1-41 The Genesis Book: Concerning Man.
  • Book Two - Pslams 42-72 The Exodus Book: Concerning Israel as a Nation.
  • Book Three - Psalms 73-89 The Leviticus Book: Concerning the Sanctuary. 
  • Book Four - Psalms 90-106 The Numbers Book: Concerning Israel and the Nation.
  • Book Five - Psalms 107-150 The Deuteronomy Book: Concerning God and His Word.
The Study Bible explains that:
"The fivefold arrangement has long been recognized, but no explanations for its origin has proved satisfactory. The most common is the early Jewish tradition that judged the five books to be an imitation of the five books of Moses..."

I just found it interesting and wanted to share the finding. None of my other Bibles detail this 5-book breakdown and I had never heard it mentioned in church before.

I am not sure that it means anything but, again, I found it interesting. If anyone has more information, please do share.

Peace

--Free 


* My Bible is the Liberty Annotated version of the KJV Study Bible. I bought it way back in 2004 in a Christian Bookstore in Anchorage. That store closed down long ago and I have not been able to find a copy of this Bible edition since. It is marked as being published both as The Liberty Annotated Study Bible and as The Annotated Study Bible, King James Version. The 1988 copyright is held by Liberty University. I have searched Amazon and see certain possible matches as "out of print".

No comments: