Sunday, February 14, 2021

Facebook Is Not My Family nor Is It My Friend

I originally posted this on my FreeBeingFree blog. The more I thought about it, the more I realized it belonged here. I added one picture especially for this post 




 Family, friends, all loved ones:

Please stop limiting your important announcements to Facebook posts.

I don't live and die by Facebook. I can go DAYS without opening Facebook.

I don't want to miss out on knowing when someone in my family needs prayer or some other support just BECAUSE I DON'T WORSHIP FACEBOOK.

People, stop. 

The first time I knew Facebook was going to be a problem was a few years ago, I couldn't locate an obituary for a friend. I searched the local papers and found nothing. Turns out, the only obituary of any substance was on Facebook. 

That should not be a thing.

So, stop. Please. 

If you have something important that a friend or family member or other loved one should be aware of, don't assume that Facebook is the center of their universe. 

Living our lives online is a big part of the reason for many of our current problems.

Want to get a broad idea of what's happening in the world? You might have to check several sources and then use your critical thinking skills to process the information but, trust me, you can do it. Pick up your newspaper. Pick up more than one newspaper. Don't depend on the Facebook algorithms to supply your daily dose of world news and information.   


Want to keep up on your friends - you know, the people you actually know and have seen without a filter? Then pick up your phone every now and then for more than checking your online social media. Remember, you had a social circle before you relegated everything to Facebook and Instagram and all the other Like-me-notice-me networks.


Want to keep some part of your humanity that isn't controlled by AI or some billionaire selling your life away for their profits? Maybe put down your phone and try practicing making eye contact, heart contact, life contact, actual contact with the living and breathing, and God-created people in your life.

Want to feel better about yourself? About your own daily blessings? About the way you look and feel and live? You know - the home you have, the kids you have, the spouse you have, the possessions you have, the clothes you wear, the way your life is? PUT DOWN THE DAMN PHONE.



Is it great to have some of the benefits of social media? Absolutely. It is until it's not.

It is when:

  • You can find and share resources that help you live and learn better.
  • You can help society in general with solutions to problems.
  • You can teach yourself and your child about things that help enrich your lives.
It is not when:
  • You can't tell what is real or not about -
    • basic news and information
    • people who may or may not be your friend (or enemy)
    • what ordinary human beings look like as children, teens, adults, and seniors
    • normal expectations for normal daily living in a society
  • You are indoctrinated to indulge in every one of the deadly sins. 

  • You find yourself coveting how other people look, live, eat, vacation, and couple-up or (Lord help me) 'un-couple'.
  • You are so busy watching other people live their lives (or what they portray) to live your own with any semblance of natural joy.
  • You can't engage in any kind of conversational debate without using social media as your (unchecked) fact source.
  • You always come in on the middle of potentially serious issues without getting a more well-rounded idea (see the 1619 debate; QAnon; Black Lives (or Blue lives or All lives) Matter; and on and on and on.)
And I really could go on and on but I will just stop by pointing back to the Boiling Frog Syndrome. Some of us are old enough to remember life without cellphones. For those that do, remember how you could remember important phone numbers - or at least your own? We don't have to anymore - until we do. Don't lose that phone and have to use someone's landline...

Every advancement - or let's more accurately say "progression" - in technology, we gain something and we lose something. 


Reaching way back, we learned to better record and store information and we lost oral history traditions. That's neither all bad nor all good. We did lose the necessity to communicate in some ways. (Does anyone remember their family griots? Ours was my mother and aunts and uncles.)

Closer in time, we gained access to a wide wealth of information and learning (via the internet and other media technology), yet many of us don't take advantage. There is less of a restriction on educational resources (in developed and able societies) but is there? I don't have numbers but I would be interested to see them for comparisons of some things. Wonder what the average daily engagement is among certain age groups for Facebook or Instagram or TikTok for, say, Wikipedia or Khan Academy? (And did y'all know that there is such a thing as Wikiversity?) 

I often wonder how many people actually read the entire articles in the links they so quickly share on Twitter? I personally know that I will get more interaction from people online if I share a link to something about a singer, actor, or reality TV personality than if I link to some educational resources. I have numbers from this very blog on the engagement made with certain posts. Trust me, people are not really running the numbers up on the posts I did listing links to autodidact resources... Don't believe me? Here is what my Most Viewed Stats show as of today:

Not one education resource shown


The Number 1 post is a silly one I did poking fun of people being less than adult-like in their behaviors. That has been in the top spot from about a month after it first posted. It's not even that well-written. All the other spots are taken by product review posts. We want to laugh and be beautiful more than we want to learn something, I guess.

(By the way, if you are interested,
you can use the Search at the top left
of the blog to look up "educational" 
for those resources.)

I say all this just to remind everyone: Make the internet and social media work for you and not the other way round. Let it be nutrition to your life and not just empty calories. (Yeah, corny, but you know what I mean.)

Peace

--Free


P.S.: I just re-read this and I am very pleased if I say so myself. I am not usually able to put out anything as coherent as this post. My brain was feeling great today and I was so motivated. Maybe I should get this mad more often and see if it helps alleviate my sarc symptoms. 


No comments: