Sunday, January 16, 2022

Does Anybody Else...?

... Keep a study notebook/journal? For your Bible study, I mean. How has it helped you? 

I think that the best thing to come out of keeping a study notebook is just seeing how far I have come in my understanding of certain things. Whenever I have questions about something in the Bible, I remember a passage from Proverbs 25:2 pointed out by Chuck Missler to think about when we have trouble understanding:

 “It is the glory of God to conceal a thing, but the honor of kings is to search out a matter.”

 As I have pointed out, this past year was my time to do Bible study deeper than I have ever done. I read the passages out loud (or listened to the audio); I keep my notebook, marking out highlights and questions; I use every commentary, dictionary, and any other resources I can find (for which e-Sword is just invaluable); I pray before, during, and after reading; I seek out sermons about whichever passage I as studying, and I make lists of things to follow up on. (By the way, following a reading, I usually look for a corresponding lesson from Missler's Learn the Bible in 24 Hours - which, for some reason, I always call 24 Hours Through the Bible! Here's a video of one lesson.)

I was leafing through my study notebook to extract the questions I've noted up to this point. I am almost 85% of the way through the Bible and am now in the Gospels.

So, I have wondered if anyone else has the same questions I do? Or if anyone has already "searched out" the answer? Here is a shortlist of some questions. A very short list:

  • (from Proverbs 8): What does it mean that Wisdom was there with God was making creation?
  • (from Kings 11): Solomon turned away. Is he still saved?
  • (from 2 Kings 4): Where did the dead who were healed back to life go? Lazarus and the little boy, for example?)
  • (from Isaiah 36:11): Are Hebrew and Judah languages different or the same?
  • (from Luke 12:14): Should we be concerned with politics and civil matters to the extent we are these days?
One thing I have noticed about keeping a study notebook is that when I review questions I wrote down, I sometimes have found the answer further into my reading. This is another good reason to keep a notebook, I suppose.

So, now as I start my reading today (Matthew 27; Mark 15), I am going to ask again for guidance and understanding of the Word.

Peace
--Free

No comments: