Friday, March 10, 2023

On The Critical Race Theory Mess

Critical Race Theory* (CRT) has been in the news a lot lately. Honestly, I had no idea what CRT is and I only wondered about it because of the "clickbait" headlines. I ignore most clickbait because those links usually lead to my either wasting a lot of time or having to do breathing exercises to bring down my blood pressure. 

The only reason I now have a bit of a grasp on the theory is because of a video from a YouTube channel I follow. Answers in Genesis  (which I highly recommend) did this video and while I agree with the points made, I'm still not sure how I feel about CRT as a black woman in America.


The title of the video threw me off (and intrigued me) but watching it was informative. I don't usually struggle with reconciling social matters with my Christian beliefs. I know that I live as a Christian in an anti-Christian society. I have realized though that when I do struggle it is with matters of race - or racial divides. 

I have been black longer than I have been a Christian. When trying to digest the truths of what the speaker in the video was pointing out, I kept trying to readjust my mindset from thinking like a black person to thinking like a Christian - and it was hard to separate the black part of me from the Christian whole of me.

See what I mean?

As I am thinking about the whole mess of CRT, the two things I am - Christian and black - keep trying to argue with each other. 

As a Christian, I know that we humans are all one race with a variety of skin shades - black, white, yellow, red, brown, etc. In our society, I also know that we are seen as this-not-that - in my case, black - not just someone with a certain level of melanin.

As a Christian, I know that we are all equal in God's eyes. However, I know that the society we all live in does not see with God's eyes. We see differences in race and class and skin color and hair texture and accents. We not only see differences, but we also look for them. That's part of our fallen nature. And this is not just among those "in the world" but also many of us believers.

The one thing I feel sure of is that Critical Race Theory is another of the schemes of the Enemy. Anything that causes so much confusion and hatred and division among Christians has to be of the Enemy. 

So, my flesh is struggling with the entire theory of race - critical or otherwise - while my spirit is willing to know that there is one race. 

I am glad that I saw the video. I am now thinking a lot about getting my heart right on the issues of race. I am praying for guidance on how to deal with the confusion and hurt CRT causes.

Peace
--Free

* I wasn't even sure of the best link to attach for an explanation of CRT. I thin Wikipedia is a good starting place.

No comments: