Monday, October 5, 2026

Listening While Sleeping???

O.L. Bax & bedtime stories...

I like listening to audio as I fall asleep. I ran across a book of Bible stories by someone using the name O.L. Bax. Of course, I want to know something about a book I'm going to be listening to - especially when I'm trying to relax. I don't want just anything being spoken into my brain as I fall asleep.

The idea of listening to Bible stories (written for adults, no less) seemed interesting. For a moment. The thing is that I can find no information whatsoever about such O.L. Bax. Google can't even tell me if it is a person or some random publisher. 

That sounds odd to me. In this day and age, most people - especially those putting out a book - has some kind of autographical information online. 

So. I will not be listening to anything by O.L. Bax. But I still like the idea of Christian bedtime stories. So, I learned that there is a podcast put out by someone named Heather Crespin. I might be checking that out later, but I am still trying to determine what Crespin's beliefs are.

Being Cautious

 Over the years, I have heard or read about more than one warning against letting things into you through your ears and eyes. I know the effect that music can have on my own behavior and thoughts. I think we all do.

 "The hearing ear and the seeing eye, the Lord has made them both." (Proverbs 20:12)

I am sure that the Enemy will use whatever he can to twist what God has made for good. Try to think of what music can do to you - that you notice. When you listen to certain songs or musical pieces:

  •  What does it make you feel?
  • Can music affect your days at work?
  • Can certain pieces make you feel calm or powerful or angry or...?
  • Has certain music made you feel more sexual or more aggressive?
You get what I mean. And those are just things we can identify. Theres various research showing that music affects our brains in ways we may not realize.
  • This blog post cites studies about music's effects on the brain when studying.
  • This from Neuroscience News is about how music can help with cognitive decline was of interest to me.
  • This goes into music being used in mental health therapy.
So yeah, I want to be careful about what I'm letting myself in for. I assume I am a lot more open to anything coming into the ears as I drift off to sleep...

Healing

Music can be healing. Think of David and King Saul. But I am pretty sure that a performer screaming about the highway to hell or rapping about all his honeys is meant to heal. 

I suffer from depression so, a lot of times, I will listen to praise songs. I even have certain songs for how I might feel at different times. 

This is a favorite when I think of loved ones (who accepted Jesus before dying)
These are for when I am really depressed and struggling to get through the moment




I don't know much about Third Day and discovered them by happenstance. I will listen to these I am blogging or just working on the computer


To be honest, there are times when I break down and weep when listening to worship songs. Not sad weeping, but thankful, joyful tears of love for the God who gives me all I need to get through just - one - more - moment.  So, music is powerful.

Basically
 
If I am going to let someone speak something into my ears - especially as I drift off to sleep - I need to know who they are and where they are with the Lord.

By the way, I did find another "Bedtime Stories" for adults published by "Fearless Christians". Still couldn't find more detailed information so... that's a nope for me. I found another book by Dr. Frank Milligan of "Northstar Strategic Solutions". I don't know about this one yet; I am looking into it. I am concerned by the Strategic Solutions part.

Anyway.

This was just something I wanted to share for anyone interested in listening to something as they drift off to sleep. For now, I will stick with my Sherlock and Marple stories.

Peace
--Free







No comments: