Friday, July 14, 2023

2 Bookshelf Favorites (and a bonus)

 Since I finished the Learn the Bible in 24 Hours study, I've been lagging. I have started the KHouse video playlist on Genesis but can't seem to settle down and focus. While I wait for my brain and body to calm down long enough to start another 24-video session, I've decided to hit my bookshelf.

The first book I am going back through is Core Christianity (What Is Christianity All About?) by Elmer Towns.

Core Christianity is one of the books I would have loved to have back before I committed to Christ. Being raised by a Christian mother but surrounded by many law-driven church people, I had questions. My mother was a sola scriptura Christian. She went to a Holy Roller church because it was the one she'd been raised in but she didn't practice their questionable practices such as "shouting" or speaking in tongues. She didn't even buy the prosperity message they taught. I think she went to that church because she had been raised to attend church and in our little town, the only other choices were more of the same or the Catholic churches. 

My mother's answer to any question was to study the Bible and trust the Word. I was young and didn't read the Bible much. When I got a bit more mature, I was kind of busy learning to enjoy the world. By the time, I got back to my serious questions on Christianity and faith, I struggled a bit.

Core Christianity is one of the books that I think anyone and everyone should read if they are critical of Christianity. I'd love for everyone to pick up a Bible and read it first but I know a lot of people won't. They haven't been witnessed to. This book is a sort of written witnessing tool.

 Another bookshelf favorite is Pagan Christianity: Exploring the Roots of Church Practices (by Frank Viola and George Barna).

This one answered a lot of questions I'd always wondered about in the back of my mind. You know, the questions that if someone asked, you'd want to know too.  I realize now, I had been wondering about a lot of this stuff back when I was sitting in my mother's church.

How'd did Sunday School start?

Why do the various pastors, priest, bishops, etc. dress the way they do? 

Why do we have a certain order of service? 

Why are most services so formalized? 

Why do the pastors and church "leaders" sit at the front (and in special chairs)? 

Why do we worry so much about wearing our "Sunday best"? 

Why is church and church-going so complicated?

 What I love is that the book touches on so many things that I can (and want to) study further. There is a lot of history and background that I need to look into - not to mention checking it all against the Bible.

 This last mention is for a fiction series. It belongs here because it's so well-written and keeps true to the Bible. The series is Chronicles of the Host by D Brian Shafer.

The series (volumes 1-5) is an entertaining account of biblical events from the fall of Lucifer to the coming of the Messiah and the start of the Church. After perusing a similar type of series (I won't name it), Chronicles is such a joy to read because I wasn't having to mentally note the biblical errors.

I once had the entire paperback set and gifted it to a friend. Now I have to try to get another set. I would love to gift a set to my young nephew. 

Anyway, those are some of my favorite books. I will get back to my Bible study but I'm going to be re-reading the first two books on this list while I settle myself down.

Peace

--Free

 

NOTE: I used Amazon links because you will be able to get "sneak peeks" or read samples of the books. I buy my books either at Amazon or Christianbook.com.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Frank and George’s book “Pagan Christianity” is a very old work from 2008. It’s not a stand-alone book either. It’s part 1 of a 4-book series. As Frank described it on a recent interview, reading “Pagan C.” without reading the constructive sequels is like hanging up the phone 15-minutes into a one hour conversation. The result is always misunderstanding and misapplication. People can see the entire 4-book series at http://PaganChristianity.org.

His newer books are much better, especially “Insurgence,” “God’s Favorite Place on Earth,” "Hang on, Let Go," and “48 Laws of Spiritual Power.”

Here is the interview he did where he talks about who "Pagan Christianity" was written for. Unlike his newer books, it is not a book for most Christians, but it was only written for Christians who either left the traditional church or were on their way out, to give them historical permission to how they felt.

It wasn’t written for pastors or people who enjoy Sunday morning church services. That audience has naturally misunderstood the book because it wasn’t written for them. Frank talks about all of this in this interview which I highly recommend: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HDZYVvJSSnw&t=

CL

FreeBeing said...

I read it because I have left the traditional church. I like that it covered questions I've had most of my life growing up "in" my mother's church.