Monday, August 14, 2023

**CROSS POST** Knowledge & Literacy & a Personal Challenge

**This is scheduled to post later on my other blog. I am posting it early here. These days, there is so much strife among politicians and ignorance on the part of some of us citizens. I believe that literacy is more important than ever.**

Reading, thinking critically, knowing, understanding - this is all so important for all of us. Learning shouldn't stop at the end of our school days. Maturing shouldn't stop at a certain age. Keep growing and keep striving to be a better person - even if just for yourself.

Knowledge & Literacy

When I got sick, the one thing that bothered me the most was not being able to read and comprehend as well as before. I have always loved books. Reading allowed me to see more of the world without ever leaving my room. Reading was how I learned to feel connections with other people in this wide world of ours.

Now that my brain is somewhat healed, I can better read and comprehend the written word. However, there is something about seeing a lot of letters on a page that frustrates me. Sometimes, the letters and words seem distorted. For that reason, I have learned to appreciate audiobooks.

And, thank God for audiobooks. For the past 7 years or so, I have gotten back into the habit of reading or listening to all the writers and poets I love. Zora Neale Hurston is a favorite and I have come back around to others such as those by Oscar Wilde, Alexandre Dumas, Shirley Jackson, Countee Cullen, Sylvia Plath, Nella Larsen, Claude McKay, Lorraine Hansberry, and Harper Lee. 

Even though I started reading at an early age, I have only recently begun to think about all the books, authors, and poets I've avoided. I have never read most of Shakespeare or any of Virginia Woolf, and I just put Sun Tzu's "The Art of War" on my list because of a Bible Study I've been doing.

Yesterday, I started putting together a list. During the coming winter months, I'd like to touch on or get through:

  • The Art of War (Sun Tzu). A nephew of mine suggested this one years ago. The Bible study reminded me.
  • The Death of Common Sense (Philip K. Howard). Oddly, I saw the author mentioned in the obituary of a television voice actor.
  • The History of Knowledge (Charles Van Doren)
  • The Federalist Papers (A. Hamilton, J. Madison, and J. Jay)
  • The Ninety-Five Theses (Martin Luther)
  • The Antiquities of the Jews (Josephus - translated by William Whiston)
It's a short list but some of the works are very intensive and will take me the rest of my life. (I also plan to re-read and study the U.S. Constitution, something I haven't done since my last year of school.)

A Challenge

One book that I have read before and recently read (rather listened to) again is Cultural Literacy (E.D. Hirsch, Jr.). The first time I read this, I made it a goal to start honing my cultural literacy skills. Then I got sick. Last year, I found a copy at my local library and made a note to read it again. When I did, I was encouraged to pursue a very specific challenge: to study for the U.S. Citizenship Test.

I have always been amazed (and sometimes ashamed) by the hard work of many people who come to live in the U.S. and make it their permanent home. Like too many natural-born citizens, I take so much of my citizenship for granted.

When people come here and, starting with less than I have, and go on to do more than I have, that's beautiful. It's also a reminder that I - and many of you - could be doing so much more here. We could be more appreciative of our freedoms and opportunities. We do, many of us, squander so much of that.

The challenge I have given myself is not to prove anything. I just want to study for the test for my personal learning and growth. 

There are many resources online. I started with the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services Naturalization Interview and Test page. Looking at the test and study resources listed, I decided to just go with other (less official) sources. Right now, I'm looking at this site. There are offerings of "free" training resources I want to check out.

If you are interested in just taking a quiz (it might encourage you) there is one. If, like me, you want to practice for taking the entire test, this is one link. I had initially just thought about practicing for the Civics portion only.

What strikes me is that people only get 2 attempts at passing the actual exam! Think about that. Think about the work that someone - who may not even speak English - has to put in to become a citizen. Maybe we all should have to take this test at some point in our early school years.

I will post about my progress as often as I can. I have not set a start date yet.

Peace
--Free

No comments: