Monday, September 11, 2023

Conversing With Skeptics

A few weeks ago, I watched a video featuring Frank Turek. And, of course, YouTube decided to flood my suggestions with more Turek videos. Personally, I love it. Turek happens to be one of my favorite apologists (along with Jason Lisle, the late Chuck Missler, John Lennox, Chris Rosebrough, and others).

One of the Turek videos was a debate he had with Christopher Hitchens. The debate was really interesting but the comments were also something to see. YouTube then presented me with a debate between John Lennox and Richard Dawkins. Again, the comments were almost as interesting as the debate.

Of course, I fell down the YouTube rabbit hole and watched several more debates. I had to make an effort to stop. 

What I had to admire about the Christian apologists was their anger-free attitudes. They were kind but firm in their arguments. All of them are absolutely intellectually brilliant, as were the people they debated. 
I tend to get frustrated when talking with some skeptics. A lot of the frustration is from my problems keeping my thoughts straight and clear as to what I'm trying to express. 

Any Christian can share their faith but not all of us should get into debates. Debating a skeptic requires the ability to keep a calm and loving attitude. Also, we must know our Bibles That's why Bible study is so important.

I saw an article this morning that reminded me of the most important question to ask a skeptic. I think I first heard this important question some years back and I've since heard Turek and others repeat it. The question, the answers to it, and just the general reaction to it will give you so much information about the skeptic. 
Do you want Christianity to be true?

Or: If I could prove the existence of God, you you accept Him? 

Please do read the article about this. What it reports about Thomas Nagel, Charles Darwin, and Hitchens is so interesting to ponder.

The important thing is that we are to share the gospel. Sometimes this is really hard. We fear being ridiculed or made to look dumb. Again, that is why we need to be diligent about our Bible study. We ourselves are not to believe blindly so we can't expect others to.

Here are some resources for anyone wanting to be a better-prepared apologist:

  • CARM - Christian Apologetics and Resource Ministry.
  • Got Questions - I find this good for when "friendly" skeptics are asking questions.
  • ARC - Apologetics Resource Center
  • Books by Norman Geisler, Turek, Lisle, and others. 
But the Bible is the first resource. Study, study, study the Word. You have to know for yourself before you can share with others. Pray for understanding and discernment. Most important, pray for the skeptics. When we talk or debate with skeptics, we are not trying to score points or make ourselves look good. We are trying to spread the gospel so that more people come to know and love Christ and accept salvation.

Peace
--Free


No comments: